Welcome to the Hcap Web site.
If you play golf, then this site is definitely for you. Leave the handicap calculations to us. We calculate your handicap, using the formulas recognized by most golfing authorities, and updated on the 1st and of every month. There must be a minimum of 5 scores before you can get a handicap.We even show you what your projected handicap is, so you have total control over your game. You can now focus on your game, and not your handicap.
Register now as a member for FREE. That's right no registration or membership fees for members. New in the members area. There is a graph of your latest scores. We have also added a space for you to upload a picture from your computer to your members page. When uploading a second picture the previous one will be deleted automatically.
You do not have to be an affiliated Club to register as a Club. If you are a team or group of players you can register as a Club.
The best golfers are those who not only exude skill and ability but also the patience to take each round one hole at a time. An example would be the legendary Ben Hogan.
Hogan, 16 months removed from a horrific auto accident that ravaged his body, was on the verge of winning the 1950 U.S. Open. He led by three strokes with seven holes to play. However, his still-damaged legs throbbed in pain, and after his tee shot at the 12th hole, he nearly fell.
The best golfers of all time span a century of excellence, and each generation has raised the bar for the next.
Legendary players of yesteryear such as Old and Young Tom Morris, Walter Travis, and Francis Ouimet set the standard for golfers like Henry Picard, Ben Hogan, and Byron Nelson, who dominated the greens during the first half of the 20th century.
Greatness begot greatness, as players like Gary Player, Arnold Palmer, andJack Nicklaus came onto the scene in the 1960s and '70s. Those players laid the foundation for the current generation, most notably Tiger Woods.
The game of golf spans hundreds of years and has grown far beyond its roots in the rolling hills of Scotland. The links below will take you to profiles of many of the all-time best golfers, the people who have helped make the sport as popular as it is today. Check them out:
Tiger Woods is the only player to have matched Ben Hogan's record
of winning three professional majors in one season.
See more pictures of the best golfers
Byron Nelson had a streak of
11 consecutive victories on the
PGA Tour in 1945.
Golf Swing Tips
Welcome to the gentleman's game of golf, where the breeze often carries a distant murmur of swear words, and expensive clubs suffer routine abuse. Since its inception sometime in the Middle Ages, golf has inspired obsession. Some players are lured by the refined aura of the sport, the sweeping links and velvety greens. Others are obsessed with golfing gear -- the latest drivers, spiked shoes and fancy putters. Still others simply enjoy driving around in the golf cart.
There's no denying that golf sings a siren's song. Too often, however, that song is soured by a wicked slice or a ball that plummets to its final resting place at the bottom of a water trap. "They call it golf because all the other four-letter words were taken," said championship golfer and course designer Ray Floyd.
Before you throw down your clubs in frustration or unleash a string of profanity that would make your mother blush, we offer 10 tips, from the most basic fundamentals to the golden rule of golf, that will help you save your sanity and improve your swing.
1 Neutral Hands: How to Hold a Golf Club, Part One
Any ham-fisted gorilla can grab a club and start whacking away at the ball. However, if your goal is to improve your swing, the first step is to pay attention to the way you hold your club.
Stand up, let your arms hang loosely at your sides and look at your hands. Notice how they are angled naturally -- you can easily see the knuckle on your index finger and part of the knuckle on your middle finger. By duplicating this "neutral hand position" when you grip your club, you'll more consistently and naturally square the clubface when you swing, increasing your chances of impacting the ball where you should, at the center of the club head.
Gently bring your top or lead hand (left for right-handers, right for left-handers) to the club and hold it lightly in place with your thumb pointing down. You should still be able to easily see the knuckles of your index and middle fingers. The "V" between your thumb and index finger should be pointing toward your rear shoulder -- not your chin. Now, place your bottom or trailing hand below your top hand, taking care to maintain its neutral position.
2 Get a Grip: How to Hold a Golf Club
Oops! Golfer Hunter Haas loses grip on his club at the New Zealand PGA Championship.
Now that you're holding your club with neutral hands, it's time to strengthen your grip by locking your hands together in one of three basic ways:
- Vardon grip: Probably the most popular and common golf grip, the Vardon or "overlapping" grip is achieved by fitting the pinkie finger of the trailing hand between the index and middle finger of the lead hand.
- Interlocking grip: The next most common grip works better for people with less powerful forearms, weak wrists or smaller hands. With this grip, the hands are literally locked together by curling the pinkie finger of the trailing hand around the index finger of the lead hand. The downside of this grip is that, with less finger pressure controlling the club, the handle can sometimes drift against the palms.
- Ten finger (baseball) grip: Beginners, players with joint pain and those with small hands sometimes find the ten finger grip the most comfortable. To achieve it, simply lock the pinkie finger of the trailing hand close against the index finger of the lead hand.
Top 100 South African Golf Courses
1) Leopard Creek Country Club, Malelane (Mpumalanga)
2) The Links at Fancourt, George (Southern Cape)
3) Gary Player Country Club, Sun City (North West)
4) Arabella Golf & Country Estate, Kleinmond (Western Cape)
5) Pearl Valley Golf Course, Winelands (Western Cape)
6) Blair Atholl Golf Course, Lanseria (Gauteng)
7) Fancourt Montagu, George (Southern Cape)
8) Royal Johannesburg & Kensington Golf Club (East), Johannesburg (Gauteng)
9) St Francis Links, St Francis Bay (Eastern Cape)
10)Wild Coast Country Club, Port Edward (Kwa-Zulu Natal)
11) Durban Country Club, Durban (Kwa-Zulu Natal)
12) Glendower, Johannesburg (Gauteng)
13) The River Club Golf Club, Sandton (Gauteng)
14) East London, East London (Eastern Cape)
15) Elements, Waterberg (Limpopo)
16) Simola Golf & Country Estate, Knysna (Southern Cape)
17) Fancourt Country Club (Outeniqua), George (Southern Cape)
18) Humeword Golf Club, Port Elizabeth (Eastern Cape)
19) Pinnacle Point, Mossel Bay (Southern Cape)
20) The Lost City Golf Course, Sun City (North West)
21) Pezula Golf Course, Knysna (Southern Cape)
22) Erinvale Golf Club, Somerset West (Western Cape)
23) Country Club Johannesburg (Woodmead), Sandton (Gauteng)
24) George Golf Club, George (Southern Cape)
25) Zimbali Golf Course, Ballito (Kwa-Zulu Natal)
26) Pecanwood Golf & Country Club, Hartbeespoortdam (North West)
27) Sishen Golf Club, Kathu (Northern Cape)
28) Oubaai Golf Resort, Herold's Bay (Southern Cape)
29) Beachwood Golf Course, Durban (Kwa-Zulu Natal)
30) De Zalze Country Club, Stellenbosch (Western Cape)
31) The Els Club (formerly Gardener Ross), Centurion (Gauteng)
32) Fish River Sun Country Club, Fish River (Eastern Cape)
33) Champagne Sports Resort Golf Course, Drakensberg (Kwa-Zulu Natal)
34) Prince's Grant Golf Estate, Dolphin Coast (Kwa-Zulu Natal)
35) Kyalami Country Club, Sandton (Gauteng)
36) Steenberg Golf Club, Cape Town (Western Cape)
37) Ebotse, Benoni (Ekurhuleni)
38) Royal Johannesburg & Kensington Golf Club (West), Johannesburg (Gauteng)
39) Randpark Golf Club – Firethorn , Randburg (Gauteng)
40) Legend Golf Course, Makopane (Limpopo)
41) Cotswold Downs, Hillcrest (Kwa-Zulu Natal)
42) Hermanus Golf Club, Hermanus (Western Cape)
43) The Bryanston Country Club, Sandton (Gauteng)
44) Parkview Golf Club, Johannesburg (Gauteng)
45) Zebula Country Club & Spa (Mabalingwe), Waterberg (Limpopo)
46) Pretoria Country Club, Pretoria (Gauteng)
47) Maccauvlei Golf Club, Vereeniging (Gauteng)
48) Royal Cape Golf Club, Cape Town (Western Cape)
49) Vaal de Grace, Parys, (Free State)
50) Roodepoort Country Club, Roodepoort (Gauteng)
51) Clovelly Country Club, Cape Town (Western Cape)
52) Plettenberg Bay Country Club, Plettenberg Bay (Southern Cape)
53) Country Club Johannesburg (Rocklands), Sandton (Gauteng)
54) Gowrie Farm, Nottingham Road (Kwa-Zulu Natal)
55) Hans Merensky Country Club, Phalaborwa (Limpopo)
56) Kingswood Golf Club, George (Southern Cape)
57) Wanderers Golf Club, Sandton (Gauteng)
58) Silver Lakes Country Club, Pretoria (Gauteng)
59) Irene Country Club, Centurion, (Gauteng)
60) Mount Edgecombe Country Club (Course 1), Durban (Kwa-Zulu Natal)
61) Modderfontein Golf Club, Johannesburg (Gauteng)
62) Victoria Country Club, Pietermaritzburg, (Kwa-Zulu Natal)
63) King David Country Club, Cape Town (Western Cape)
64) Nelspruit Golf Club, Nelspruit (Mpumalanga)
65) Killarney Golf Club, Johannesburg (Gauteng)
66) Krugersdorp Golf Club,Krugersdorp (Gauteng)
67) Stellenbosch Golf Club, Stellenbosch (Western Cape)
68) Wingate Park Country Club, Pretoria (Gauteng)
69) San Lameer Country Club, Near Margate (Kwa-Zulu Natal)
70) Parys Golf Club, Parys (Free State)
71) Euphoria Golf Estate, Waterberg (Limpopo)
72) Mossel Bay Golf Club, Mossel Bay (Southern Cape)
73) Dainfern Country Club, Sandton (Gauteng)
74) Selborne Country Club, Pennington (Kwa-Zulu Natal)
75) Randpark Golf Club – Bushwillow , Randburg (Gauteng)
76) Umhlali Country Club, Umhlali (Kwa-Zulu Natal)
77) Southbroom Golf Club, Southbroom (Kwa-Zulu Natal)
78) Blue Valley Golf Club, Midrand (Gauteng)
79) Paarl Golf Club, Paarl (Western Cape)
80) Goose Valley Golf Course, Plettenberg Bay (Southern Cape)
81) Westlake Golf Club, Cape Town (Western Cape)
82) Woodhill Country Club, Pretoria (Gauteng)
83) Centurion Country Club, Centurion (Gauteng)
84) Umdoni Park Golf Club, Pennington (Kwa-Zulu Natal)
85) Goldfields West Golf Club, Carletonville (North West)
86) Atlantic Beach Golf Club, Cape Town (Western Cape)
87) Benoni Country Club, Benoni (Gauteng)
88) ERPM Golf Club, Boksburg (Gauteng)
89) Glenvista Golf Club, Johannesburg (Gauteng)
90) Rustenburg Golf Club, Rustenburg (North West)
91) Mowbray Golf Club, Cape Town (Western Cape)
92) Leopard Park Golf Club, Mmabatho/Mafikeng (North West)
93) Orkney Golf Club, Orkney (North West)
94) Rondebosch Golf Club, Cape Town (Western Cape)
95) Milnerton Golf Club, Cape Town ( Western Cape)
96) Royal Durban Golf Club, Durban (Kwa-Zulu Natal)
97) Royal Port Alfred Golf Club, Port Alfred (Eastern Cape)
98) Langebaan Golf Course, Langebaan (Western Cape)
99) State Mines Golf Club, Brakpan (Gauteng)
100) Simbithi Golf Club, Ballito (Kwa-Zulu Natal)